Wednesday, February 15, 2017

until you believe in yourself

For years we have asked Kate-
would you like to try a sport?

swim?
no, I might drown

soccer?
I might break my leg

track?
I hate running

softball?
(Laugh) are you serious?!

tumbling?
I can barely somersault


Some of the excuses were sincere- but most of them were offered with a smile.
In PE this term she has been playing volleyball.  One of her classmates suggested, after playing with her, that she should join a volleyball team.  She was enthused, interested and excited.  All of us feel better after we exercise.  It is hard to fit it into the few free daylight hours a jr high school schedule allows. I was so grateful for that classmate that believed in her, which in turn inspired Kate to believe in herself.  I signed her up for the volleyball class today.

Going through photographs for another project, I ran into this-my Aunt Jossy.  I love the joy on her face doing what she loves!



Ideally, wouldn't it be wonderful if we each had the vision and foresight to believe in ourselves without the need for outside encouragement?  I think I get  s l o w l y  better at this the older I get.   But in the meantime, my aunt Jossy has been such a strong influence for me.  I remember two instances in particular.

When I was 21 and leaving to serve an LDS mission, we stayed in her home before heading to the MTC.  My dad said something on that visit about me "not being college material"  (In my dad's defense, I was not a strong high school student- absentminded, unmotivated and often below average grades.)  Aunt Jossy didn't believe it and saw a greater potential in me and in the university system.  I did graduate from college several years later (a bachelors in Speech and Hearing Science) often on the honor roll.

While studying at the University of Utah I took a fine art class.  Aunt Jossy had an art studio in Salt Lake City at the time.  She asked me about the class.  I told her of some of the discouraging feedback my professor had given me (I don't remember his words now) and she wouldn't hear of it.  When others put up a hurdle she coached me over it.  (Whether those hurdles had merit or not.)

We don't alway have the vision of our own potential.  As a mom, wife, daughter, sister, friend-I want to inspire growth, cheer people over their hurdles and believe in their hopes and dreams.  Just like my aunt Jossy has done for me. So, until they believe in themselves- there is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment